Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I Want to Look Like the Ones Who Brought Me Here





I want to look like baobab trees

and endless blue ocean

like ever expanding sun drenched skies

I want to look like diamonds from the earths core

like rhythm and harmony

rain drenched soil

lush green landscapes

like flesh of ripe mango

the perfect orange dawn

like full swinging hips

backs like living cradles rocking baby to sleep

tremendous loads carried like feathers by steel spine

like hands carving

and weaving

and cooking

and braiding

and tending to life

I want to look like the ones who brought me here

The ones whose breath passed from mother to mother until it filled my lungs

my laugh

I want to look like the ones

whose blood is in my veins

whose rhythm is in my heart

whose sun is in my skin

whose hair is on my head

3 comments:

  1. beautiful poem! your writing is so passionate, and moving. you are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. Found you through BGLH. You and your daughter are beautiful. Your blog is awesome and just what we need. Keep going!

    Gem

    ReplyDelete