Of course we all know about the Chris Rock Good Hair blah dee blah... Watched him on Oprah and was like what the fuck evah...Saw the follow up show. Some woman wrote in super anonymously about how he was telling the world our black woman secrets and how he put us out there bad letting the white girl know what we do to compete and how our men love to run their fingers through and the white girl knows she has this etc and on and on and that's how she steals our men... I was bout as amused as I imagine white female viewers may have been. Just the hysteria... It was funny. I guess because these are not my views or my problems, I just found her shenanigans very amusing. There was also a woman in the audience that was not to amused with the whole airing of our dirty laundry as she did not want to be put in the category of weave wearers..(.giggles) and can't we just have some secrets blah blah blah. Wow if your hair is making you this touchy and nervous good grief...Oh the shame of it all.
I haven't seen the movie and have no desire to really. There is nothing there that I don't already know and haven't overcome. For some however it seems "Good Hair" is stirring up some issues...
I suppose because I do not perm or wear hair (to cover my own hair out of shame anyway), and I don't envy or desire straight hair, and I know that all men respond overwhelmingly to self-love and confidence so it's not always about running his fingers through something it's that she isn't saddled with a poor self image fostered by years of brainwashing and all the baggage that comes with that, that I can laugh at it all. I wonder how I would feel if I were the old permed up, weaved up me. Perhaps not so amused. Maybe I would feel stripped naked for the world to see or at the very least that my wig had been pulled off or that my tracks were showing when I thought my weave was undetectable... something along those lines. Seems like such a burden to carry. I'm free of those burdens, insecurities and everything that goes with all of that so I laughed and was indeed entertained. These are my sisters and they are struggling but I laughed just for a moment at the ludicrousness of it all.
Tuesday, October 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I haven't seen this movie either although I was kind of interested in seeing what all of the talk was about. I guess I will check it out when it comes out for rental. I am very careful where I spend my hard earned money. At the end of the day, I just want to encourage the ones with low self-esteem, and cheer for all of our young teenagers who walk in confidence with their own style and rocking their own hair.
ReplyDeletethank you for revealing my own feelings to me and wording them so articulately, I didn't see the aftershow but I did see the documentary and it didn't meet my expectations,(which were really high to begin with I guess)but I'm sure it may promote some perming and weaving women to question their motives...
ReplyDelete